Thursday, May 26, 2011

Prepositions and Em Dashes

Today I want to share two things that were recently shared with me.  I've have always been of the opinion that writing rules are often a bit overrated and should be broken as a writer deems appropriate.  In some cases, however, I believe that rule-breaking can be a bit overdone.  I agree with an article from Slate Magazine that my sister sent along this week on the overuse of the "Em dash."  You know that good old dash - the one used to separate a clause or emphasize a point in lieu of other forms of punctuation?  Emily Dickinson may have used it well, but common usage has brought it to a whole new level - less artistic - and more - annoying.


Check out this article for Slate contributor Noreen Malone's argument against the Em dash:  http://www.slate.com/id/2295413

On a more positive note, for the rule breaking type at least, is a video from Merriam-Webster's "ask the editor" shared with me by my husband.  I have been long known to end a sentence with a preposition when the moment is right; check out Merriam-Webster's argument:


Happy rule breaking!

1 comment:

  1. Before I even watched that video, I thought of that Churchill quote, and the boyfriend who would un-ironically parrot it whenever I ended a sentence with a preposition (one of the reasons I dumped him).

    Grammar and punctuation are two things I can get wildly passionate about, which pretty much insures I'll eventually end up living alone with a bunch of cats.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...