Thursday, August 18, 2011

300 Words

After many months I have recently ended my on-again off-again relationship with Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird.  For now.  I end it with sadness that it is over, fond memories and plans to repeat the whole thing again in the future at any time the inspiration (or lack there of) should strike me.  One of my favorite little tidbits from the book is Lamott's repeated prescription to write at least 300 words every day.  Just about one page of writing, 300 words is just enough to keep you moving through writer's block, inspiration block and motivation block.  It seems like such a reasonable expectation.  Just there, I'm already a third of the way done.



This week I quit my long-time job as your local neighborhood coffee slinger and worshiper in the house of Howard Schultz.  At the end of September I'll begin a new life as a full-time graduate student and writing teacher to college freshman at Portland State University (more on that later).  In the meantime I'm going to have a little bit of time on my hands.  You may know that my husband and I recently bought a fixer.  The house itself, as well as the blog that goes along with it, are sure to take up a good chunk of my time over the next several weeks.  But I don't want descriptions of garden photos and instructions on how to paint 1970's paneling to be the only writing I do during this rare era of freedom.

So for the next six weeks, and maybe beyond, I plan to fill Lamott's prescription (pretty much) every day.  Some of those days I'll write here.  As I mentioned, I'll be teaching writing for the first time this coming fall and there is a lot going on in my mind to that tune.  I also want to start keeping a journal of sorts about our new house.  It will be a good supplement to all the photos and memories that we will have of our first real home.  And then of course there is always the house blog.  I suppose any real content there will count, too.  So keep your eyes out for more here soon.  I'll let you know how it goes.

And just to illustrate how easy this is... I just wrote 370 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...